Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Decorating...

I will be the first to admit that I am HORRIBLE at decorating. If you have been to my house you know that there is no actual style or much of anything in my house. It seems that we just kind of have random stuff in our house and not anything that remotely goes together. We are both minimalists but that being said, we have 4 children and no playroom so everything is in their rooms and our living room. UGH...It drives me crazy.

Anyway, here is my point. I want to redo my family room. Repaint and everything. Right now my living room is a tan color but I would really like to paint it...soon. We bought new furniture last winter and there is a blue color in the pillows that I would love to use but am not sure if it would be too much.

This is the pillow...
 
We also have these 2 buffets that were once my grandparents. One is int he living room and the other is in the dining room. We took them at the time because we had no other furniture and needed something. The first one, sits inside of my front door with either nothing really on it or filled with the kids' stuff (I use the word stuff loosely because what I would really like to say is the kids' crap!) I'm not really sure what to do with this. I don't really like it the way it is but I'm not sure what to do. I am open to anyone's thoughts or ideas.

Here it is...


I also need to figure out something to do with our windows as well. What kind of blinds? What kind of curtains? This is not an easy thing for someone who has no...let me repeat that, NO decorating ability at all!

Looking for any tips or suggestions to help a struggling decorator!

4 comments:

  1. Did you see your house at Christmas? Or any of your parties? And now you're becoming a fashionista?!? Don't tell me you can't decorate. You've got style. Trust your instincts.

    Oh, and the blue will look amazing, just like in mom's house. And it's my favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blue would look good too but if you thought it would be too dark you could go a couple of shades lighter- take the pillow to the paint store- I recommend Benjamin Moore and they have it at ACE hardware-and get the little paint swatches of blue.

    Or the yellow in the pillow would be a good color- If I remember your house (which was very nice by the way) was older and darker on the inside so the yellow might be nice in your house.

    For that dresser or table- you need to get your hands on some chalk paint girl!! It's so easy to use and I'm not talking about chalk board paint I'm talking about Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint. It comes in all sorts of colors, even a blue similar to your pillows or the yellow and then you can distress it and make it look really cool. It's seriously so easy. And it doesn't take a whole lot of time which I know you don't have. No sanding or priming or deglossing, you just start painting!

    For the windows- do you want privacy? If so plantation shutters are always good or wood blinds. But if you don't need a lot of privacy you could do bamboo shades. All of these look good with long panels. Panels are relatively easy to make but you can always get them at Target, Pier 1, even Etsy. You could go with a neutral tan or ivory. For curtains you just want to make sure that they touch the floor (they have to touch the floor!;)) and hanging them higher than your window will make your window appear bigger. My mom was an interior decorator and custom curtain maker for years so I learned a lot about curtains from her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I would put two matching lamps on that bigger piece of furniture and then some nic nacs on the smaller one like decorative pieces- Target has a bunch of cute little decorative things, hurricanes, apothecary jars look cute. Then you just need to teach your girls not to mess with mommy's things!;) They have their toys and you have yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I would put two matching lamps on that bigger piece of furniture and then some nic nacs on the smaller one like decorative pieces- Target has a bunch of cute little decorative things, hurricanes, apothecary jars look cute. Then you just need to teach your girls not to mess with mommy's things!;) They have their toys and you have yours!

    ReplyDelete