Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Survival Mode

I think that I forgot what those first few weeks with a newborn are like. However, I don't think that I just totally forgot because my memory isn't as good as it used to be. No, instead, I think I forgot because God makes you forget. Let me explain. If you don't forget about how dead tired you are all the time, how you could fall asleep standing up while packing your daughter's lunch, how you have to force yourself to get out of your pajamas every day and how you can call your husband and ask him to pick up pizza on the way home, hang up with him, call the pizza place and ask for it to be delivered and then when it shows up at your door, you have absolutely no recollection of even having the conversation with the pizza guy in the first place as you scramble for money to pay for the pizza; if you don't forget about all of those things, people would only have one child because who in their right mind would put themselves through that more than once??? Needless to say, Helena isn't sleeping much at night. She had liked to sleep during the day which, while not ideal, was still ok because I could try to at least rest a bit while she slept. However, now she just doesn't really like to sleep. We make it work at night by holding her while she sleeps. Tommy and I take turns and one of us will sleep, either in bed or on the couch, and the other will sit in the recliner or on the other couch and hold Helena while she sleeps because if you put her down in her bassinet or her pack and play she is awake within minutes screaming once again. I know that we don't want to spoil her or set any precedent but I really believe that right now we are just in survival mode. Do what you have to do to get through the days and nights. Her pediatrician said you can't spoil them in the first month anyway so we should do what we have to do. Don't get me wrong, holding a sleeping baby is not all bad.We may be up at all hours of the night but there is nothing better than looking down and seeing that precious little face, her eyes closed, looking so peaceful, and feeling her snuggle just a little bit closer to you or smelling that amazing baby smell. These are some of my most favorite times with my babies and some of my fondest memories of my older girls. This is one of the reasons why I love being a Mommy!

Who wouldn't love to look down and see that face???

No comments:

Post a Comment